People of the Street

For the second half of our project we had to go out and photograph strangers. I already had a good idea on the kind of people I wanted to photograph and so I took photographs of Street performers and Stall owners. I found this Project a lot more interesting as it highlights the essence of what Portraiture is really about. Portraiture is meant to tell a sort of story of the subject being photographed. Little details such as the way the subject is dressed, the way they pose, their expression and their willingness to have their photo taken can correlate to things such as where they’re from and the life they live. In the sense of photographing strangers both the photographer and the individual looking at the photo have no idea who the subject is or what their background history is.

IMG_9857-2

IMG_9856-2

My first subject was a young street artist named Florian. Sculpting a Sand Sculpture of a Labrador on the streets of Lincoln at the time (photo above) I tipped him and asked him if i could take his photo. At first he was a little shy but through a little reassurement I was able to take his photo, using a low aperture i got the subject in focus whilst losing the background a little bit. His pose is casual and relaxed which is what i wanted, he looks confident but not too cocky.

IMG_9943-2

My second subject was an older gentleman who owned a children’s funhouse, the photo was taken at a fair in the town square in Loughborough. My first thoughts was his pose the expression on his face were different from my first subject. It reminded me of when you got your photo taken back in school, standing straight and with a smile on your face. This gentleman has stronger sense of mannerisms than my first subject probably due to age difference.